Ever see a Useless Box? It turns itself off when you turn it on! Here's a kit to build your own!
Yes, it's ... Useless! It's a clever electromechanical box that turns itself off after you've turned it on.
You build it, you turn it on, and ...it has other ideas. A finger extends, and turns itself off just as quickly as you turn it on. Weird and wonderful, it's a physical description of many aspects of life (how's that for the beginning of an artsy interpretation?).
The Useless Machine Kit requires assembly, and you must have your own soldering equipment, batteries, and phillips screwdriver.
Each kit includes:
- 1 x 39300 Black acrylic "Useless Box" construction set (with nut/bolt hardware) with "crack" warranty.
- 1 x Motor set (GM3 Motor and Accessory Wheel)
- 1 x Double-pole, double-throw power switch
- 1 x Single-pole, double-throw retract limit switch
- 1 x 4-conductor ribbon wire
- 1 x 2xAA battery pack
- 1 x Double-sided sticky tape
- 4 x Miniature hinges
- 2 x #4 x 1/2" Motor-mounting screws
- 5 x #2-32 x 3/8" Limit switch / finger mounting screws
- 1 x #2 x 1/4" and #2 Washer set for accessory wheel
- 22 x #4 x 3/8" Bolts and #4 nut sets
- 16 x #2 x 1/4" Hinge-mounting screws
- 4 x "Little Rubber Feet" to protect your Useless Box from abrasive counter tops!
- [Data Sheet]: Assembly documentation - 2014
- [Schematic]: Useless Box Lid Template (.cdr)
- [Schematic]: Useless Box Lid Template (.pdf)
- [Documentation]: Custom Art Guidelines
- [Data Sheet]: Useless Box 1.3 GM3 version (with hinges) Laser template