The fastest way to get started with electronics for a young person is littleBits. We've packaged a few bits, comprising a power bit, and input and output bits, so that they can quickly get started with understanding the basics. Build on this understanding with a few simple projects. Especially with the motor and servo bits, it's fun and a great engineering exercise to make things that move, like automata.
Once they are proficient, level up by pairing these bits with a programmable micro:bit via the littleBits micro:bit adapter, which we also carry.
- 1x power bit with cable and 9V battery, to power your circuit
- 1x proximity sensor, an input component
- 1x wire connector, to extend your project
- 1 x bright LED, an output component
- 1 x servo motor, to move things
- 1 x DC motor, also to move things
- 1 x mounting board